Intel 6300ESB SATA150 cannot find disk or boot under 6.3

Michael Scheidell scheidell at secnap.net
Sat Oct 4 10:42:49 UTC 2008

> A few questions:
>
> 1) What does "accidentally works" mean?

one of our techs found a patch for 6.3 that worked.

> 2) Do I understand you correctly: 6300ESB works on FreeBSD 5.5 and 6.2,
> "accidentally works" on 6.3, but does not work on 7.0?

I have a compiled kernel that works, but we lost the patch.  normal 6.3
doesn't.
generic 6.3 doesn't.  i 6.3 current didn't work.

I can send you a dell 750 with 6.3 on it that does work (custom 6.3
kernel, again, lost the source, can't repeduce 'fix' no matter what I tried)
even upgraded dell 750 to latest firmware.

other anomaly:  teying to man times to boot 6.3 hosed a hard disk.
fried the hardware (hard disk) somehow.
> 3) Have you tried 7.1-PRERELEASE?  I make no promises, but additional
> confirmation would be helpful.

not yet. since I didn't see any CLOSED pr talking about fixing it, and
all the hardware notes on 6.2, 6.3, 6.4, 7.0 and 7.1 say just it does
generic support for SATA150.

> ftp://ftp4.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/200809/
>
> 4) Have you contacted the ata(4) author, Soren Schmidt <sos at freebsd.org>
> about this driver regression?
>
> 5) Is there a PR open on this matter, or have you filed one?

after replying to freebsd-hardware post, I found this, but have found
other posts going back to feb 2008.

Michael Scheidell, CTO
Phone: 561-999-5000, x 1259
 > *| *SECNAP Network Security Corporation

    * Certified SNORT Integrator
    * Everything Channel Hot Product of 2008
    * Shaping Information Security Award 2008
    * CRN Magazine Top 40 Emerging Security Vendors