LG combo drive and Attansic Technology ethernet card on Asus P5Q Pro

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Sat Oct 4 07:34:13 UTC 2008

On Sat, Oct 04, 2008 at 03:48:58PM +0900, Pyun YongHyeon wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 03, 2008 at 03:58:28AM -0700, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
>  > On Fri, Oct 03, 2008 at 05:22:57PM +0900, Pyun YongHyeon wrote:
>  > > On Thu, Oct 02, 2008 at 04:18:48PM -0700, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
>  > >  > On Thu, Oct 02, 2008 at 06:32:20PM +0200, Giuseppe Pagnoni wrote:
>  > >
>  > > [...]
>  > >
>  > >  >
>  > >  > > On an unrelated topic, does anybody know whether the network card
>  > >  > > Attansic Technology on Asus P5Q Pro motherboard is compatible with
>  > >  > > FreeBSD?
>  > >  >
>  > >  > Asus was somewhat vague as to what model of Attansic/Atheros IC they
>  > >  > used on the P5Q series.  I have one of these boards, so I can assure
>  > >  > you it's an Attansic L1E.  It's sometimes referred to as an Atheros
>  > >  > AR8121, AR8113, or AR8114.
>  > >  >
>  > >  > FreeBSD 7.1-PRERELEASE has support for this NIC; age(4) is the driver.
>  > >  > 7.0 will very likely not support this NIC.
>  > >  >
>  > >
>  > > If the controller is AR8121/AR8113 PCI-E adapters(also known as
>  > > L1E) there is no working driver for FreeBSD. Because the controller
>  > > is quite different from its predecessor L1, new driver should be
>  > > written for the controller.
>  > > It's not feasible for me to write the driver until I can actually
>  > > access the hardware. :-(
>  >
>  > Wow, I was under the impression the L1 and the L1E were identical,
>  > except that the L1E was PCI Express-based vs. PCI-based.
>  >
>  > The Attansic L1E stuff is becoming more and more common here on
>  > motherboards in the States.
>  >

> Correct. Newer Eee PC also seems to have the controller.
>
>  > Yong-Hyeon, I can get you a P5Q SE motherboard and send it your way
>  > (with CPU + memory as well, if need be), if you'd like.
>  >

> Yeah, that would make me write a driver for L1E and I'm willing to
> do that. I greatly appreciate your support.

Yong-Hyeon,

Please (privately) provide me your address in South Korea and I'll get
all of this stuff shipped off to you within the next few weeks.  You can
keep the hardware, resell it, or ship it back (if you so desire) when
finished with it.  :-)

Thanks!