LG combo drive and Attansic Technology ethernet card on Asus P5Q Pro

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Sat Oct 4 07:33:07 UTC 2008

On Fri, Oct 03, 2008 at 11:49:01PM +0100, Dieter wrote:
> >> The drive is a new LG combo drive, I believe GH22LP20 or something close to it.
>
> I have an older LG PATA combo drive which works ok.
>
> Does it show up when booting?  (Does dmesg work from the installation shell?)
>
> Maybe you need to "kldload atapicam" ?  Or is that only needed for writing,
> I forget...
>
> > The only thing I can think of is that the P5Q boards use a Marvell
> > ATA/IDE controller (yes, you read that correctly).  I wonder if FreeBSD
> > somehow lacks support for this...
>
> 7.0 ata man page claims support for:
>
>      Marvell         88SX5040, 88SX5041, 88SX5080, 88SX5081, 88SX6041,
>                      88SX6081, 88SX6101, 88SX6141.

None of these are what's on the P5Q series boards.  The P5Q series
boards use a Marvell 88SE6102 Super I/O chip, which also drives IDE/PATA
devices.  (SATA is driven via ICH10 or ICH10R).

I'm left to believe FreeBSD simply lacks support for this very new
Marvell chip.  I'm willing to bet there is no sign of ata(4) devices nor
atapci(4) PCI association during boot-up.

> > > I cannot even install over FTP, because the institution I am in wants
> > > my MAC address to allow this pc to connect to internet and I cannot
> > > get to the MAC address without installing an OS (at least, I don't
> > > know how... I tried an Ubuntu LiveCD, but it doesn't recognize the
> > > ethernet card, either).
>
> Sometimes the MAC address is printed on a sticker.

This is an on-board NIC/PHY.  I'm fairly sure there's no printed label
of the MAC on the motherboard, although if there was, I'd say it's
probably on the underside/back of the board.

http://www.unitycorp.co.jp/asus/motherboard/intel/lga775/p5q_pro/big_photo.jpg

I'm going to get Yong-Hyeon a P5Q SE motherboard with CPU and RAM, and
ship it to him in South Korea.  Once it arrives, he should be able to
work on developing a driver for it over the next few months.