LG combo drive and Attansic Technology ethernet card on Asus P5Q Pro

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Fri Oct 3 10:58:31 UTC 2008

On Fri, Oct 03, 2008 at 05:22:57PM +0900, Pyun YongHyeon wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 02, 2008 at 04:18:48PM -0700, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
>  > On Thu, Oct 02, 2008 at 06:32:20PM +0200, Giuseppe Pagnoni wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>  >
>  > > On an unrelated topic, does anybody know whether the network card
>  > > Attansic Technology on Asus P5Q Pro motherboard is compatible with
>  > > FreeBSD?
>  >
>  > Asus was somewhat vague as to what model of Attansic/Atheros IC they
>  > used on the P5Q series.  I have one of these boards, so I can assure
>  > you it's an Attansic L1E.  It's sometimes referred to as an Atheros
>  > AR8121, AR8113, or AR8114.
>  >
>  > FreeBSD 7.1-PRERELEASE has support for this NIC; age(4) is the driver.
>  > 7.0 will very likely not support this NIC.
>  >

> If the controller is AR8121/AR8113 PCI-E adapters(also known as
> L1E) there is no working driver for FreeBSD. Because the controller
> is quite different from its predecessor L1, new driver should be
> written for the controller.
> It's not feasible for me to write the driver until I can actually
> access the hardware. :-(

Wow, I was under the impression the L1 and the L1E were identical,
except that the L1E was PCI Express-based vs. PCI-based.

The Attansic L1E stuff is becoming more and more common here on
motherboards in the States.

Yong-Hyeon, I can get you a P5Q SE motherboard and send it your way
(with CPU + memory as well, if need be), if you'd like.