LG combo drive and Attansic Technology ethernet card on Asus P5Q Pro

Michael Fuckner michael at fuckner.net
Fri Oct 3 07:58:18 UTC 2008

Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 02, 2008 at 06:32:20PM +0200, Giuseppe Pagnoni wrote:
>> The drive is a new LG combo drive, I believe GH22LP20 or something close to it.
>>
>> I also tried to install Ubuntu and it works fine (but I really would
>> like to have FreeBSD!).
>
> The only thing I can think of is that the P5Q boards use a Marvell
> ATA/IDE controller (yes, you read that correctly).  I wonder if FreeBSD
> somehow lacks support for this...
>
> What confuses me is that you can boot the CD media, and FreeBSD will
> load kernel modules and a copy of the mini filesystem into memory off
> the CD, yet it can't actually find the CD come installation time.

First sectors are read by the bios, the kernel is loaded and executed.
The Kernel doesn't know anything about this Controller, so it can't
access the CD.

My advice is to disable the crappy Marvell Chip and get a SATA-DVD.

I'm sorry, I don't know about the status of the Attansic-Lan. You can
add another supported NIC with Intel Chipset or something else that is
supported.

Regards,
  Michael!