Areca vs. ZFS performance testing.

Danny Carroll danny at dannysplace.net
Wed Nov 12 21:46:34 PST 2008

Danny Carroll wrote:
> Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
>> I'd like to see the performance difference between these scenarios:
>>
>> - Memory cache enabled on Areca, write caching enabled on disks
>> - Memory cache enabled on Areca, write caching disabled on disks
>> - Memory cache disabled on Areca, write caching enabled on disks
>> - Memory cache disabled on Areca, write caching disabled on disks

The initial results for a ICH9 vs Areca in JBod mode can be found here:
http://www.dannysplace.net/ZFS-JBODTests.html

	ICH9      - block reads  avg 400MByte/Sec
	ICH9      - block writes avg 150MByte/Sec
	ArecaJBOD - block reads  avg 300MByte/Sec
	ArecaJBOD - block writes avg 160MByte/Sec

The Areca seems to be in all except char and block writes.  Block reads
are 75% as fast as the ICH9 and rewrites are about 85% as fast.

There seems to be little difference between enabling and disabling the
disk cache on the Areca.  This leads me to two conclusions:
	1. Disabling the write cache does nothing on Seagate drives.
	2. IO to the drives is so slow that a write cache is irrelevant.

These are just some quick tests that I started with, mainly to compare
the areca bus versus the ich9 bus.  If someone has any tuning
suggestions, then now is the time to make them before I migrate the ICH9
drives to the Areca bus.

-D
p.s. My OS details are:
FreeBSD 7.1-PRERELEASE #3: Tue Nov  4 13:58:49 EST 2008
localhost# cat /etc/sysctl.conf
kern.maxvnodes=400000
net.key.preferred_oldsa=0
net.key.blockacq_count=0
kern.ipc.maxsockbuf=400000
net.inet.ip.fastforwarding=1
net.inet.tcp.rfc1323=1
kern.ipc.maxsockbuf=16777216
net.local.stream.sendspace=82320
net.local.stream.recvspace=82320
net.inet.tcp.local_slowstart_flightsize=10
net.inet.tcp.nolocaltimewait=1
net.inet.tcp.delayed_ack=1
net.inet.tcp.delacktime=100
net.inet.tcp.mssdflt=1460