Modem GPRS USB

Rui Paulo rpaulo at FreeBSD.org
Wed May 14 10:43:47 UTC 2008

Vinícius Abrahão wrote:
> Hi People,
>
> First, sorry about my poor english.
> I have modem usb: hsdpa/edge/gprs, but I don't know how to
> make this work. This is the description about the device:
>
> umass0: <Qualcomm, Incorporated USB ONDA Storage, class 0/0, rev 1.10/0.00,
> addr 2> on uhub2
> cd0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
> cd0: <ONDA USB Storage 2.31> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-2 device
> cd0: 1.000MB/s transfers
> cd0: cd present [4623 x 2048 byte records]
> GEOM_LABEL: Label for provider cd0 is iso9660/ONDAMODEM
>
> At my kernel configuration file we find:
> device ugen                     # Generic
> device ucom                     # Modem UCOM
> device ugencom                  # Modem CDMA MSM
> device umodem                   # Modem COM
>
> Thanks in advice for any light.

Since we don't have yet a way to unplug these modems from umass, you
should remove umass, ugen, ucom, etc. from your kernel config file and
build it as modules.

I have a similar modem, and what I did was:
1) Don't have umass.ko loaded.
2) Wait a few seconds. The device will disconnect.
3) ubsa(4) should support these modems, so have it loaded, or load it now.

Hope this works,
--
Rui Paulo