PERC5 (LSI MegaSAS) Patrol Read crashes

Brian A. Seklecki bseklecki at collaborativefusion.com
Mon Jun 30 15:36:41 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2007-11-15 at 15:55 -0500, Brian A Seklecki (Mobile) wrote:
> Normally I'd be praising Dell, but I think a little vendor bashing is
> due here.

All:

Just to follow up, we've been running these 1st-generation 2950s in our
lab with RHEl5.2 x86_64 for ~3 weeks w/o any disk or I/O problems.

It must have been some random bug with the FreeBSD mfi(4) that only
affected that revision of the PERC5, or, since the motherboard/CPU
family/chipset is entirely different in R2 and R3, something with
FreeBSD and how it was handling the controller (ACPI?)

We never had any stability problems with R2 and R3 on RELENG_6_3 on the
2950 or 1950.

>From now on we'll wait for R2 before we go anywhere near new Dell
gear.

What do you think the chances of them dumping LSI for Acera and Broadcom
for Intel? :)

~BAS

--
Brian A. Seklecki <bseklecki at collaborativefusion.com>