Dell XPS 1530 - Network card issue - Marvell 88E8040

cs at wa-sp.com cs at wa-sp.com
Mon Jan 21 08:29:29 PST 2008

Hi,

It appears as if the Marvell 88E8040 is not yet supported by FreeBSD and
specifically the msk(4) driver. I would just like to know if there are any
plans on adding support for the above mentioned NIC.

Normally I wouldn't even bother asking, and just shrug and say, tough luck
they don't support it... next distribution. Thing is, I really, really
like FreeBSD. I'm kind of a GNU/Linux guy, but I've never managed to
settle for a distribution and have moved from one to another, never quite
finding something that works with me, and not against me.

Then I tried FreeBSD, actually I just read much of the available
documentation and I was "converted". _THIS_ is how documentation should be
written; clear, concise, to the point and most of all, USEFUL! Thank you!

So, my point is that I really want this to work out. I'm willing to give
as much time as necessary to get this driver working. Whether it's just a
little Device_ID change in the source, I don't know. However, if anyone is
up for helping me getting this to work, I'll provide whatever information
I can.

Many thanks, and keep up the fantastic work on the FreeBSD operating system.

Regards,
Christoffer Strömblad

PS: I've tried 7.0-RC1 and FreeBSD 6.3, no luck.