Realtek 8111B LAN Chipset

Bernd Walter ticso at cicely12.cicely.de
Sun Jan 20 14:15:10 PST 2008

On Sun, Jan 20, 2008 at 10:32:18AM -1000, NetOpsCenter wrote:
> Bernd Walter wrote:
> >
> >Realtek has two devices for Gbit PCI: the 8169 and the reduced 8110.
> >They are both more or less the same - likely even the same chip inside,
> >but the later has pins reduced.
> >AFAIK the later can't have an external PHY, which you can't have anyway
> >if there is neither a connector or PHY itself connected on the board.
> >The 8168 is the successor for PCI express, with the 8111 being the new
> >reduced variant.
> >Both PCIe are detected but didn't run stable with our re(4), but it is
> >said that the latest driver fixes this and also adds a good speed
> >improvement.
> >

> Thanks for the info Bernd,
>
> I have the 8169's running fine on 7.* and 8.* . I  believe these have
> the new drivers.

The 8169 are not PCI express - they work stable since a very long time
now, but the latest additions have some enhancements for them.
One of the additions is seeable by issuing ifconfig, that is TSO4,
which wasn't supported previously, but there were other speed
enhancements as well.
I've just looked into CVS and it was added in Rev 1.101
I don't know how much of it made it into 7.0.

--
B.Walter                http://www.bwct.de      http://www.fizon.de
bernd at bwct.de           info at bwct.de            support at fizon.de