ubsec(4) and AES

Gergely CZUCZY phoemix at harmless.hu
Tue Jan 15 09:44:57 PST 2008

On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 09:38:00AM -0800, Sam Leffler wrote:
> Gergely CZUCZY wrote:
> >Good morning,
> >
> >I'd like to ask whether there was any updates, news, anything
> >about the Broadcom cryptoaccelerators' AES support in the recent
> >past. ubsec(4)[1] tells at the BUGS section, that it's awaiting
> >some information from broadcom. It would be nice to have AES
> >support for these cards, since the hifn(4) ones don't provide
> >as much performance as the broadcom ones, according to the
> >utilities in the source tree, google, and the vendors themselves.
> >
> >[1] http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=ubsec
> >

> Broadcom never gave me the ok to add the AES support; will ask again.
>
> As to performance I believe hifn 7956 parts were on a par w/ the 5823 but it's been a long time.  The main issue isn't the speed of the
> crypto part but the bus+dma glue.
And also stability. I've experience system crashing with the soekris vpn1401. It was
kinda strange. Existing things worked (like an opened ssh connect, the box is a gateway),
but I couldn't even fork() new processes, use apache, open new ssh connections to the
box, anything. And the interrupt load was also a bit too high. Anyways, it's a different
issue.

Silicom has drivers for both windows and linux, and they support AES. I wasn't able to
download the driver (got an empty page), so I don't know whether its opensource or not.

Sincerely,

Gergely Czuczy
mailto: gergely.czuczy at harmless.hu

--
Weenies test. Geniuses solve problems that arise.