Printer Configuration

Adriaan de Groot groot at kde.org
Wed Jan 9 13:41:40 PST 2008

On Wednesday 09 January 2008, Vince wrote:
> go to administration, log in as root if needed, and go through the add
> printer dialog, selecting usb printer when asked for device, and the
> closest model to mine i could find in the following screen.
> After that it just worked.

For my setup -- I have an Epson RX420 -- it was also essential not to choose
the Epson driver, but to install gutenprint as well and then choose Epson via
Gutenprint. Only then did things work:

gutenprint-5.1.3    The "meta-port" for GutenPrint
gutenprint-base-5.1.3_1 GutenPrint Printer Driver
gutenprint-cups-5.1.3 GutenPrint Printer Driver
gutenprint-foomatic-5.1.3 GutenPrint Printer Driver
gutenprint-ijs-5.1.3 GutenPrint Printer Driver

My approach to discovering the right configuration was to plug the printer
into a Mandriva 2008 Linux box, wait for it to do all the right things
automagically, then check the configuration of the printer in CUPS and try to
re-create that.

I suppose the very *first* step to take is to check that /dev/ulpt0 is created
*and* gets the right permissions. Check dmesg and ls -l /dev/*lpt* .

--
These are your friends - Adem
    GPG: FEA2 A3FE Adriaan de Groot