problem with network card in P35+ICH9

Vincent Barus vibarus at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 16 10:54:32 UTC 2008

On Dec 9, 2007 4:00 PM, Playnet <playnet at mail333.com> wrote:

> >  >  I have a server based gigabyte MB with core2 quadro,
> > P35+ICH9
> >
> > From the below let me guess it is in the MSI Neo familiy of
> > Mobo's....
> > you will want the following patches for re:
> >
> > http://people.freebsd.org/~yongari/re/re.HEAD.patch
> >
> > If I am right about the Mobo you should also be getting
> > mismatching
> > reports on your SATA drives as well the inablity to have
> > SATA and
> > PATA
> > together you will want the following patches to fix that:
> > http://www.flosoft-systems.com/patchs/ahci.diff
> > http://www.flosoft-systems.com/patchs/i82801-marvell.diff
> >

> Patch for RE not compiling.. When these pathes will
> be included in the kernel?

I own a MSI P35 Neo with following chips [1]:

"One Ultra DMA 66/100/133 IDE controller integrated in Marvell(R) 88SE6111"
"SATAII controller integrated in ICH9/ICH9R and Marvell(R) 88SE6111 chipest"
"Supports AHCI controller with SATA RAID 0/1/0+1/5 or JBOD mode by ICH9R"
"Supports one SATAII port by 88SE6111"
"Supports PCI Express LAN 10/100/1000 Fast Ethernet by Realtek 8111B"

1st problem: PATA DVD drive: boots the kernel from install cd -> can't
mount root fs from cd for installation
2nd problem: PATA HDD drive: is not recognized too
3rd problem: I can't tell you if the nic works because i can't boot
any FreeBSD Live CD (Linux too) nor install FreeBSD to a PATA drive

The SATA ports are recognized by the system as far as i saw on the
boot messages so the ICH9/ICH9R shouldn't be the problem.

Google won't tell me much about the Marvell 88SE6111 so i wonder if
someone's out there who can code or already has a compiled driver
driver for this piece of hardware. Unfortunately I can't compile my
own kernel because I only have this one computer...

There was a conversation on current@ a few months ago [2] but i think
it stopped without any result.

Last but not least a few links I found while searching for help:
- http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-bugs/2007-August/025584.html
- http://butcher.heavennet.ru/patches/kernel/ata/marvell/README.txt

[1] http://www.msi-computer.de/index.php?func=proddesc&prod_no=1215&maincat_no=1
[2] http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2007-October/077591.html