bce(4) and rx errors

Vlad GALU dudu at dudu.ro
Wed Dec 10 07:26:21 PST 2008

  Hello. Sorry for crossposting, but I wasn't sure which mailing list
was the most appropriate for this email.
I have an application pulling about 220Kpps from a bce(4) card
(details below). At what seems to be random times, errors start
showing up on that interface (I'm watching it with netstat -w1 -I), so
about 10% of the initial 220Kpps is reported as errors. Bringing the
interface down and then back up clears the errors, but they do
reappear at a later time. Before they reappear, the systems manages to
pull the full 220Kpps as before.
  This is a temporary setup, we'll very soon use an Intel fiber card,
but I thought this issue was worth mentioning, as I don't think it's a
hardware problem (the switch also reports no errors).

  The system is running a fresh (yesterday's) RELENG_7. The card is
onboard, on a HP DL380 G5. Here's the pciconf output:

-- cut here --
pcib13 at pci0:2:0:0:      class=0x060400 card=0x00000000 chip=0x01031166
rev=0xc3 hdr=0x01
    vendor     = 'ServerWorks (Was: Reliance Computer Corp)'
    device     = 'BCM5715 Broadcom dual gigabit, pci bridge'
    class      = bridge
    subclass   = PCI-PCI
bce0 at pci0:3:0:0:        class=0x020000 card=0x7038103c chip=0x164c14e4
rev=0x12 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'Broadcom Corporation'
    device     = '5708C Broadcom NetXtreme II Gigabit Ethernet Adapter'
    class      = network
    subclass   = ethernet
-- and here --

  Regards,