Watchdog for Boser (HS-7001)

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at des.no
Mon Dec 1 05:32:28 PST 2008

Won De Erick <won.derick at yahoo.com> writes:
> this is a great info. i am used to settings like the following when using ipmi-compliant platform.
> #bmc-watchdog -s -a 1 -i 100    (#set timeout action to hard reset after a timeout of 100 seconds)
> then daemonize to constantly reset the timer, and prevent the box from restarting.
>
> I installed watchdog(/usr/ports/sysutils/watchdog) from ports,

Firt of all, that port won't help you; it only supports the AMD Elan
SoC.  Second, we've had kernel support for the Elan watchdog longer than
the port has existed.

> then noticed the following from the manual.
>      watchdog [-d] [-t timeout]

That's the base system watchdog(8); the port installs a watchdogd(8)
that works *only* for Elan chips.

There is a watchdogd(8) in the base system as well.

> # watchdog -d -t 50
> Timeout is 2^36 nanoseconds
> watchdog: patting the dog: Operation not supported

You need to load the appropriate watchdog driver first - and as far as I
know, we don't have one for the Boser HS-7001.

> but I don't know how it is linked with watchdogd(8).
>
> Little more explanation is appreciated, and/or an example.

man -k watchdog

DES
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no