nfe driver 6.2 stable

Chris chrcoluk at gmail.com
Sun Sep 23 17:26:34 PDT 2007

Hi I installed the following driver.

http://www.f.csce.kyushu-u.ac.jp/~shigeaki//software/freebsd-nfe.html

Before I had the nve driver which was unstable on this server and on a
prior server in both cases causing either spontaneous reboot or just a
crash when under load.

So far touchwood the nfe driver has stayed up and running at almost 3
days uptime and has had some stress.

I know the driver supports device polling which I have chosen not to
use yet as I wanted to see initially if it was more stable in its
default mode.  But what I want to know is the following if possible
please.

My ifconfig output below.

nfe0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        options=8<VLAN_MTU>
        inet x.x.x.x netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast x.x.x.x
        inet x.x.x.x netmask 0xffffffff broadcast x.x.x.x
        ether x
        status: active

1 - is there a man page for nfe anywhere?
2 - does it support hardware checksum I remember reading it does but
from ifconfig output it appears to not be in use so if it does support
it how do I enable it?
3 - same with TOS?
4 - how do I enable jumbo frames if it supports it?
5 - is it safe to use with zero copy sockets?
6 - I currently have both net.isr.direct and mpsafenet disabled is
this driver safe to use on them?

Thanks

Chris