c2d disk machine, any objections?

Johan Ström johan at stromnet.se
Fri Nov 23 02:41:11 PST 2007

On Nov 23, 2007, at 11:24 , Michael Fuckner wrote:

> Johan Ström wrote:
>> Gigabyte GA-G33-DS3R, G33, 8x internal SATA
> be aware that there are just 6 ports on the intel chipset and 2 on
> a separate one... I don't know if this chipset is working, I turned
> it off.
Hm yepp.. seems that way, pretty recent posts where ppl have problems
with this JMicron chip.. altough seems most posts is talking about
SATA CDs? Same for disks?
Anyone know if this is going to be fixed (ie is it "just"
implementing driver or is it other problems?), if so then it wont be
a problem right now since I only have 6 sata drives for the moment so.

>> Intel Pro/1000PT PCIe Desktop Adapter 1000BaseT
>> Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.67GHz 1333Mhz Socket LGA775, 4MB
> it is the same combination I am using. Runs fine.
Nice!

>> And as I've understood, the Intel network controllers should work
>> good too right?
>> Also, I'm looking at memory.. I can get 4GB (2x2GB kit) of PC6400
>> (800MHz) memory for about 116 euro (or ~$170), or I can get PC8500
>> (1066Mhz which is the mobos max) for.. hm.. cant even find any 2Gb
>> sticks :/ Dont want any 1Gb sticks, only 4 slots on the mobo..
>
>> Well anyway, will i notice any difference in 800 vs 1066MHz?
> on a fileserver? I don't think so. I don't even think you need more
> than 4GB.

True, not realy sure why I mentionend 4Gb.. will probably go with 2..
As i've understood it, zfs is pretty big on using memory, would 2G be
enough then? And would better speed make any (noticable) difference
in zfs performance?

> Regards,
>  Michael!

Thanks for quick reply! :)