About the SWAP

Tim Aslat tim at spyderweb.com.au
Thu May 17 22:33:12 UTC 2007

In the immortal words of Tzu-Hua Wang  on 05/17/07 20:27:
> Hi,
> I added 2G RAM to my server. Is it necessary for me to alter the size of
> SWAP?
> My SWAP is 4G originally.

Does this mean you now have 2G or you have 2G more ram?

Typically, the rule of thumb is you need at least 1Mb more swap than you
have actual ram. Something to do with system core-dumps, or some such.
I forget exactly what the the reason was, but it's still a good idea to
have more swap than physical memory, even if it's only a slightly larger.

Maybe it was hibernation or something like that.  Must go back and read
up on it again

Cheers

Tim

--