sata raid card for FreeBSD?

Thomas Fischer tfischer at gmail.com
Tue May 8 23:13:59 UTC 2007

Hello,

I have a dual-boot FreeBSD 6.2/WinXP system that usually runs under FreeBSD,
with the exception of when I'm working with and processing photos from my
digital camera (Canon 400D/Rebel XTi).  In order to store and manage my
images, I've purchased two 500GB SATA disks, and would like to set them up
in a RAID-1/mirroring configuration.

Since I'm going to be accessing these files when I'm running under both
Windows and FreeBSD, the geom/gmirror solution won't work for me.  Would
anyone be able to advise me on an inexpensive SATA RAID card that would be
well supported by FreeBSD?  I don't need anything fancy - just something
with 2 SATA ports capable of doing RAID-1, and which is (well) supported by
FreeBSD (and Windows).

For info - current setup is running on an MSI K8N Neo4 motherboard with an
AMD Athlon processor...

Any advice, experience, suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance!

tom