Sun Fire X2200

mjaburek at ebanka.cz mjaburek at ebanka.cz
Wed Mar 21 16:55:58 UTC 2007

Hi,
I had just the same problem. I have 2 X2200, only broadcom NIC detected and
alom deactivated.

To solve this you will need to recompile your kernel. I have done this:

a) patch nvidia driver:
     follow steps in:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-bugs/2006-November/020926.html
b) disable broadcom driver for compiling:
     cp /usr/src/sys/amd64/conf/GENERIC /usr/src/sys/amd64/conf/MYKERNEL
     vi /usr/src/sys/amd64/conf/MYKERNEL
          - here comment out lines for broadcom NIC:
               #device         bce             # Broadcom BCM5706/BCM5708
Gigabit Ethernet
               #device         bfe             # Broadcom BCM440x 10/100
Ethernet
               #device         bge             # Broadcom BCM570xx Gigabit
Ethernet
For NVIDIA
          - be sure you have nvidia active
               device          nve             # nVidia nForce MCP on-board
Ethernet Networking
c) compile and install kernel:
     cd /usr/src/sys; make buildkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL;make installkernel
KERNCONF=MYKERNEL
d) reboot

That's all.. Don't forget to set ip address for new nvidia NIC in
/etc/rc.conf

Hope it helps

Martin