support for components of Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 motherboard?

John Reynolds johnjen at reynoldsnet.org
Tue Jun 5 00:26:55 UTC 2007

[ On Monday, June 4, Gary Corcoran wrote: ]

> I just built a new PC based on a Gigabyte GA-965GM-S2 board.  Not exactly
> the same, but it seems very similar except mine has built-in video.  Since
> it is intended for a personal file server, all I wanted was VGA.

similar enough--I'm mostly interested in reports about the onboard NIC and
sound.

> DVD-RW drive connected to PATA (JMicron controller) worked fine for install.
> Later, a hard disk connected to the same PATA cable along with the DVD-RW
> also worked.

cool.

> SATA ports provided by ICH8 work fine in AHCI mode (only tried 1.5Gbps SATA
> for now).

again, cool.

> I haven't tried the audio.

from what I can gather it looks like -current is supporting this ICH8/RealTec
combo fairly well. There appears to be diff's to apply to -STABLE with a "use
at your own risk" type clause attached.

> The Marvell 8056 ethernet is supported by the msk driver.  It probes and attaches
> okay, but, long story short, it is unusable.  Pinged okay, but just trying to
> vi a small file over the network crashed the network connection.  Another time
> the lights on the network switch were constantly going off and on every few
> seconds.  It's just unusable in its current state.  When I get time, I'll try
> to provide a proper report to -current and get some help, but for now I had
> to plug in an Intel card in a PCI slot.

interesting ... yes, it'd be nice if this was supported, but the board has
enough PCI slots to use "working" NICs ..... thanks for your report!

-Jr

--
John & Jennifer Reynolds  johnjen at reynoldsnet.org        www.reynoldsnet.org
Structural/Physical Design - some group - Intel   jreynold at sedona.ch.intel.com
Running FreeBSD since 2.1.5-RELEASE.   KT7JCR        FreeBSD: The Power to Serve!
"Unix is user friendly, it's just particular about the friends it chooses."