DWL-G520 low signal, low speed

Sam Leffler sam at errno.com
Sun Jan 14 18:40:24 UTC 2007

Trigve Siver wrote:
> Hi,
>
> One more thing I want to add is...that when I was using ath I have had low speed and also had a lot of interupts and I realised that ath was sharing IRQ with USB (IRQ 19 in my case)... so I disabled the USB and throw away ath from kernel and compile it as module (want to take some performance test with ndis and ath)...and after that I have still low signal but media is OFDM/54 Mbps and is stable... to the performance....I think that ndis is somehow a little faster...when dowloading/uploading about 100 kB/s faster...but haven't done some serious testing (don't know how maybe with kismet?)

Downstream performance is mostly dependent on performance of the sender.
 100 kB/s (kilobits?) is likely not significant which means the radio
operation are likely similar.  If you really want to compare what's
going on collect a packet trace of both drivers and look at the tx rates
and other characteristics.

The interrupt rate you cited original is too high.  I believe your card
has on-chip counters for phy errors which means you should get only
interrupts for real frames and that's typically max's out at ~4K/sec
when running full out in both directions.  More typical packet rates are
<1K and there are some interrupt mitigiation techniques used to bring
the interrupt rate lower than that.

BTW top-posting means all context is lost when I reply; it is discouraged.

	Sam