FreeBSD 6.2 installer doesn't see my SATA disk on Shuttle ST20G5

Gilles Gravier Gilles at Gravier.org
Sat Feb 24 16:08:01 UTC 2007

Hi!

I'm trying to install FreeBSD 6.2 on my Shuttle ST20G5 with one DVD
drive (off of which the FreeBSD 6.2 AMD boot CD boots perfectly)... I am
asked for default or "no ACPI" (tried both - even tried with the normal
i386 boot CD), then prompted for region and keyboard language. Then I go
to where I should select partitionning for my hard disk... but the
system says "no disk found".

Strange thing since, if I don't boot from the CD, the machine boots from
the hard disk (which contains a Ubuntu system) perfectly...

The machine is a Shuttle ST20G5 (
http://global.shuttle.com/Product/Barebone/ST20G5.asp). Chipset is ATi
RADEON XPRESS 200 + ULi 1573 chipset...

Any suggestions?

PS... This is my first attempt at FreeBSD... comming from NetBSD (on
another server) and Ubuntu (on my laptops). I'd love to make this a
great experience!

Thanks in advance,
Gilles.