Floppy drive on Intel m/b

Rashid N. Achilov achilov-rn at askd.ru
Mon Feb 19 11:01:00 UTC 2007

I had have catched by very strange and frustrating bug, which appeared only
(at least by me) on Intel motherboards - D945GNT, DQ965GF.

When I try to load GENERIC kernel, system stops sometime after detecting all
HDD's, when probed FDD. When I try to load customized kernel, system stops
here - it infinitely doing "FDD status" from SECOND FDD, which for ages
switched off. I think some "more stupid" BIOS simply reported "no second
FDD", but Intel hadn't these in their BIOS and kernel INFINITELY does request
FDD status and boot stops here!

I think, when doing probe (at least FDD's), unavailability status info sholud
be equal "no device"

That was a very simply solution:

echo "hint.fd.1.disabled=\"1\"" >> /boot/device.hints

But I think, here is invalid policy - boot MUST NOT stopped, even status info
about some devices unavailable.
--
   With Best Regards.
   Rashid N. Achilov (RNA1-RIPE), Web: http://www.askd.ru/~shelton