DWL-G510 aka rt61

Andrea Franceschini andrea.franceschini at postecom.it
Tue Dec 25 18:50:30 PST 2007

On Sun, Nov 04, 2007 at 04:17:42PM +0100, franceschini_a at tiscali.it wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> 	I recently bought a DWL-G510 because i thought it
> 	was supported on freebsd 6.2 trough ral device.
>
> 	Unfortunately it happens that this card is a rev C2
> 	model and, as I found later , this seem to not be
> 	correctly handled :(
>
> 	This is how the card is seen by the system:
>
> 	00:13.0 Network controller: RaLink RT2561/RT61 rev B 802.11g
>         Subsystem: D-Link System Inc DWL-G510 Rev C
>         Flags: bus master, slow devsel, latency 32, IRQ 255
>         Memory at f4800000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [disabled]
>         Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 2
>
> 	Actually the if_ral module loads but it fails to associate:
>
> ral0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>         ether 00:15:e9:b3:79:14
>         media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect (DS/1Mbps)
>         status: no carrier
>         ssid homenet channel 5
>         authmode OPEN privacy ON deftxkey 1 wepkey 1:40-bit wepkey 2:40-bit
>         wepkey 3:40-bit wepkey 4:40-bit txpowmax 100 bmiss 7 protmode CTS
>         bintval 100
>

> 	it keeps searching for the channel (it changes every time I do
> 	an ifconfig ral0)
>
> 	I saw that someone has filed a bug report on it (kern/109227),
> 	but no progress so far.
>
> 	The bug reports stats that the cards works on FreeBSD 7.0,
> 	but as far as I tried it doesn't work for me.
>
> 	I tried with ndisgen too without success.
>
> 	The cards comes up but It doesn't associate.
>
> 	Does anyone have any hint?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Andrea.

I made further investigation and it came up that the driver itself works correctly
but the boards has an extremely short range...

In other words I made it work placing the AP less than 5 meters away from the board.
Additional antennas did not help very much....

Is just this board that has a weak signal or is the driver that wrongly set the TX power?

There's a way to increase the output power by software?

Thanks.