SIIG PCI to Dual Serial, JJ-P20212

Mr CW mrcomputerwiz at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 16 20:30:57 UTC 2007

Hi Folks,

I purchased a SIIG Dual Serial (RS-232) (Part Number JJ-P20212) card to
control a remote power switch now attached to a FreeBSD 4.11 system.  (The
SIIG Dual Serial PCI cards are in the list of approved hardware for 4.11.)
Since the system is a production system and is running some very important
legacy applications, I cannot take it down to upgrade to 6.1, so I am stuck
at 4.11 for right now.

My problem is as follows:  I have installed the card, and added 'device puc'
to the kernel & reinstalled the kernel.  Here is what dmesg says:

----------
puc0: <Oxford Semiconductor OX16PCI954 UARTs> port
0xac00-0xac1f,0xa800-0xa81f mem 0xee032000-0xee032fff,0xee031000-0xee031fff
irq 11 at device 8.0 on pci0
sio2: type 16550A
sio3: type 16550A
sio4: configured irq 11 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
sio4: type 16550A
sio5: configured irq 11 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
sio5: type 16550A
[snip]
sio0 at port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 on isa0
sio0: type 16550A
----------

>From what this tells me, the dual PCI card is now sio2 and sio3.  sio0 is
the built-in "COM1" port, and is attached to the service modem.  It works
fine.

If I disconnect the service modem from sio0 and attach it to sio2 or sio3,
tip reports that I am connected, the modem Terminal Ready light comes on,
but typing "ATD" does not cause the modem to go off hook.  Exiting tip
causes the TR light to go out.  Both ports are set up to 9600 baud in
/etc/remote and are being addressed as /dev/cuaa0 and /dev/cuaa2.  Both
ports show the same configuration in stty.

I have read another thread sent to FreeBSD hardware but that one did not
resolve the problem (the person asking the question simply went back to
using sio0 instead of getting the card to work).

If there is anything I can post to clarify the system configuration, please
let me know.  Any help will be _greatly_ appreciated.

Jake