Can't boot after adding tx2plus card

telmnstr at 757.org telmnstr at 757.org
Wed Apr 4 23:57:36 UTC 2007

> Any ideas what else I can try?

I hit something similiar... basically, your card comes up first, so you
would need to customize your fstab and perhaps kernel regarding the change
in boot devices.

My hack was nassssty. Basically, we changed the first few bytes in the
firmware image for the promise ultra-ATA card, so that the system bios
wouldn't recognize it... reflashed the firmware (basically killing it).
Then NetBSD saw the card once it was booting, but the onboard card was
picked up first.

We had 3 x ultraATA cards on top of whatever was in the system, and the #
of drives was to change all the time...

See if you can disable the onboard Promise BIOS.... probably not. Promise
was of no help, and their flash utility checksummed the firmware so it had
to be hacked. I no longer have access to any of that, and a co-worker
helped with it as he had experience with the promise cards and knew that
the first few bytes of the firmware are what the system bios sees when it
scans for other bioses to execute.