Is there anyone successfully running freebsd on a dell poweredge 1950?

Sam Eaton sam at fqdn.net
Tue Sep 26 14:25:11 PDT 2006

On Tue, Sep 26, 2006 at 09:03:50AM +0200, Olivier Mueller wrote:
> 'morning,
>
> On Fri, 2006-09-22 at 16:22 +0100, Sam Eaton wrote:
> > The patch didn't fix our network card issues - they fixed *some* of
> > them, but we still get watchdog timeouts with NFS mounts.
>
> can you reproduce them?  My last tests were fine, but it was only
> http/ftp/rsync-over-ssh traffic.

Yes, probably the easiest way was to mount a drive over NFS and then
work it hard - something like bonnie++ did the trick nicely, but any
high load would do it, like building a lot of ports over NFS.

> this sounds interesting...  do you still have your kernel configuration
> file somewhere?  maybe it's just a small configuration issue on my
> side...

I was using a completely stock SMP kernel config.

> > Neither could we, we gave up and bought something else.
>
> Unfortunately that is not a solution for us, the box is already here.
> For me the "worst case" scenario would be to go back and use linux...

We're sending the box back to Dell :)  We didn't want to go back to
Linux either.

Sam.
--
"Fortified with Essential Bitterness and Sarcasm"
    Matt Groening, "Binky's Guide to Love".