Quiet computer

Olivier Gautherot ogautherot at vtr.net
Wed Sep 13 04:50:27 PDT 2006

Greetings!

> > Unix Benchmark Utility v.0.3
> > Copyright (C) July, 1999 PhysTech, Inc.
> > Author: Sergei Viznyuk <sv at phystech.com>
> > http://www.phystech.com/download/ubench.html
> > FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE-p2 FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE-p2 #0: Fri Jun 16 09:21:34 PDT
> > 2006     root at PCBSD.localhost:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/PCBSDv1.11 i386
> > Ubench CPU:    15374
> > Ubench MEM:    21651
> > --------------------
> > Ubench AVG:    18512
>
> Hm, this is not impressive at all. In fact, quite disappointed i am (but
> then, I really expected a miracle, I suppose). OTOH, the chip _is_ low
> power, and should be good enough for any 'home server' type machine
> (or even an embedded system). Hopefully VIA's newer CPUs are better.
> But CPU score looks far too low... Could you test it in single-user
> mode, just to be sure? I stil have some hope ;)

Don't worry too much about the figures: this CPU is great for a client or a
home server. I'm running on a Via Epia with a 1GHz C3 and am perfectly happy.
Network speed reaches 8MB/s (100Mbps Ethernet) on a single, LAN FTP transfer,
which is twice as much as what our Windows laptop (Sempron-based) offers. I
don't recommend it to recompile OpenOffice everyday, though ;-) I'll rerun
the ubench when the load comes down - I'm not sure running KDE with 8 busy
workspaces gives anything meaningful ...

It really comes down to what you expect from the box.

Cheers
--
Olivier Gautherot
Email:    olivier at gautherot.net