Quiet computer

ANdrei lists at hausro.de
Tue Sep 12 04:46:47 PDT 2006

>> don't have any of the newer VIA processors, but I have a Yakumo laptop
>> with
>> a C3 1GHz laying around, and PC-BSD on it... if you're interested, I
>> could
>> run some tests (just tell me what you want to compare it to, and which
>> tests
>> to run) and even get FreeBSD on it (though PC-BSD should be fine, as it
>> is
>> actually a FreeBSD ;).
>>
>> So if C3 is interesting for you, drop me a line and I'll test it these
>> days.
>> Runs on DDRAM 266 and FSB133 for the C3, with some S3 video.
>
> Well, it would be nice to get a general idea about performance of a C3...
> Can you run a UNIX benchmark ('ubench' in ports) on that laptop? Don't
> worry about getting really accurate readings, it's not that important.
> And maybe post the results to the hardware@ list -- I'm sure someone
> else will be interested.
>
> [SorAlx]  ridin' VN1500-B2

here we go:

Unix Benchmark Utility v.0.3
Copyright (C) July, 1999 PhysTech, Inc.
Author: Sergei Viznyuk <sv at phystech.com>
http://www.phystech.com/download/ubench.html
FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE-p2 FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE-p2 #0: Fri Jun 16 09:21:34 PDT
2006     root at PCBSD.localhost:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/PCBSDv1.11 i386
Ubench CPU:    15374
Ubench MEM:    21651
--------------------
Ubench AVG:    18512

VIA C3 1GHz processor (133x7.5) on a Yakumo laptop, I didn't enable any
power management (the kernel is the one that CPBSD comes with to install).
Oh, yeah, this laptop has PCBSD on it, but I guess it's no change to the
kernel etc regarding to FreeBSD 6.1
I was no doing anything with the laptop by the time of benchmarking, but KDE
was running (and idling).
RAM is 256MB DDR266. The laptop was plugged in to the AC adapter.

hope this helps someone. Any other benchmarking is possible, but I might not
get the time immediately to do it ;) just ask me what you want. this is a
total test machine anyway ;)

ANdrei
http://students.oamk.fi/~t6ruan00/
------
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down
to their level then beat you with experience...