XEON 5050 and FreeBSD

Fred Cox sailorfred at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 11 01:26:56 PDT 2006

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EM64T

"Extended Memory 64-bit Technology (EM64T) is Intel's
implementation of AMD64, a 64-bit extension to the
IA-32 architecture."

The latest Xeons use AMD extensions to get 64 bits.
So you tell FreeBSD you have an AMD chip.  Check
/var/run/dmesg.boot to see what it thinks it is.  For
example, my desktop Intel dual core 64 bit Pentium
says it's a K8 class CPU, K8 being the AMD name for
the Opteron architecture.

<http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/reseller/asmo-na/eng/products/server/pr