DL 380/G5 with 16G of ram

Michael Vince mv at thebeastie.org
Sat Sep 9 08:04:12 PDT 2006

Olaf Hoyer wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Sep 2006, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>

>>> It looks like HP were trying to have better remote serial bios
>>> support by going really basic command line style for remote BIOS
>>> control but its no good.
>>> The Dell bios is all nice and menu'ed and works flawlessly over
>>> remote serial, no garbledness overwriting other text.
>>

> The HP boxes offer 2 ways of serial: traditional BIOS redirection at
> 9600 bps through 9pin COM1, which you can set up in BIOS, I recall
> that there are some options to it, like terminal type, ANSI or VT100.
> Could that be an issue in your environment?

Yeah the terminal choice is probably it, I asked some one on the local
side of the server to enable the serial bios via COM1 and when it would
display a full screen and then just garble everything else at the bottom
I asked him about 5 times to look for some kind of ANSI or VT100
terminal type option so I could have a chance of seeing whats really
going on he said there was nothing, but now I am sure he just couldn't
see it or just didn't care to look.
I tried every terminal type I could on my side to help try make it
display properly, but it just didn't work.

Thanks for all the input.