DL 380/G5 with 16G of ram

Brad Miele bmiele at ipnstock.com
Thu Sep 7 14:45:13 PDT 2006

I have 2 new dl380/G5s which threw the Memory above 4G ignored errors
unless i used a PAE kernel. my kernel config is below, the machine has
been up and has had no trouble with portupgrade/buildworld, etc. but it
is not in production yet either and i have not put a ton of stress on it.
I have 6G ram, so not nearly as much.

fwiw, here is my conf. I pretty much rolled the PAE config into my custom
conf. The custom conf has as much as I possible could lose stripped out.

machine         i386
cpu             I686_CPU
ident           MYBOXYO

# To make an SMP kernel, the next line is needed
options         SMP                     # Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel

# To make a PAE kernel, the next option is needed
options         PAE                     # Physical Address Extensions
Kernel

# for apache2
options         ACCEPT_FILTER_HTTP

# Compile acpi in statically since the module isn't built properly.  Most
# machines which support large amounts of memory require acpi.
device          acpi

# Don't build modules with this kernel config, since they are not built
with
# the correct options headers.
makeoptions     NO_MODULES=yes

# What follows is a list of drivers that are normally in GENERIC, but
either
# don't work or are untested with PAE.  Be very careful before enabling
any
# of these drivers.  Drivers which use DMA and don't handle 64 bit
physical
# address properly may cause data corruption when used in a machine with
more
# than 4 gigabytes of memory.

nodevice        ahb
nodevice        amd
nodevice        sym
nodevice        trm
nodevice        adv
nodevice        adw
nodevice        aha
nodevice        aic
nodevice        bt
nodevice        ncv
nodevice        nsp
nodevice        stg
nodevice        asr
nodevice        dpt
nodevice        mly
nodevice        hptmv
nodevice        ida
nodevice        mlx
nodevice        pst
nodevice        agp
nodevice        de
nodevice        txp
nodevice        vx
nodevice        nve
nodevice        pcn
nodevice        sf
nodevice        sis
nodevice        ste
nodevice        tl
nodevice        tx
nodevice        vr
nodevice        wb
nodevice        cs
nodevice        ed
nodevice        ex
nodevice        ep
nodevice        fe
nodevice        ie
nodevice        lnc
nodevice        sn
nodevice        xe
nodevice        wlan
nodevice        wlan_wep        # 802.11 WEP support
nodevice        wlan_ccmp       # 802.11 CCMP support
nodevice        wlan_tkip       # 802.11 TKIP support
nodevice        an
nodevice        ath             # Atheros pci/cardbus NIC's
nodevice        ath_hal         # Atheros HAL (Hardware Access Layer)
nodevice        ath_rate_sample # SampleRate tx rate control for ath
nodevice        awi
nodevice        ral
nodevice        wi
nodevice        uhci
nodevice        ohci
nodevice        ehci
nodevice        usb
nodevice        ugen
nodevice        uhid
nodevice        ukbd
nodevice        ulpt
nodevice        umass
nodevice        ums
nodevice        ural
nodevice        urio
nodevice        uscanner
nodevice        aue
nodevice        axe
nodevice        cdce
nodevice        cue
nodevice        kue
nodevice        rue

#####
makeoptions     DEBUG=-g                # Build kernel with gdb(1) debug
symbols
#options        SCHED_ULE               # ULE scheduler
options         SCHED_4BSD              # 4BSD scheduler
options         PREEMPTION              # Enable kernel thread preemption
options         INET                    # InterNETworking
#options        INET6                   # IPv6 communications protocols
options         FFS                     # Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options         SOFTUPDATES             # Enable FFS soft updates support
options         UFS_ACL                 # Support for access control lists
options         UFS_DIRHASH             # Improve performance on big
directories
options         MD_ROOT                 # MD is a potential root device
options         NFSCLIENT               # Network Filesystem Client
options         NFSSERVER               # Network Filesystem Server
options         NFS_ROOT                # NFS usable as /, requires
NFSCLIENT
options         MSDOSFS                 # MSDOS Filesystem
options         CD9660                  # ISO 9660 Filesystem
options         PROCFS                  # Process filesystem (requires
PSEUDOFS)
options         PSEUDOFS                # Pseudo-filesystem framework
options         GEOM_GPT                # GUID Partition Tables.
options         COMPAT_43               # Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP
THIS!]
options         COMPAT_FREEBSD4         # Compatible with FreeBSD4
options         COMPAT_FREEBSD5         # Compatible with FreeBSD5
options         SCSI_DELAY=5000         # Delay (in ms) before probing
SCSI
options         KTRACE                  # ktrace(1) support
options         SYSVSHM                 # SYSV-style shared memory
options         SYSVMSG                 # SYSV-style message queues
options         SYSVSEM                 # SYSV-style semaphores
options         _KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING # POSIX P1003_1B real-time
extensions
options         KBD_INSTALL_CDEV        # install a CDEV entry in /dev
options         ADAPTIVE_GIANT          # Giant mutex is adaptive.

device          apic                    # I/O APIC

# Bus support.
device          eisa
device          pci

# Floppy drives
device          fdc

# ATA and ATAPI devices
device          ata
device          atapicd         # ATAPI CDROM drives
device          atapifd         # ATAPI floppy drives
options         ATA_STATIC_ID   # Static device numbering

# SCSI Controllers
#device         aha             # Adaptec 154x SCSI adapters
#device         aic             # Adaptec 15[012]x SCSI adapters,
AIC-6[23]60.

# SCSI peripherals
device          scbus           # SCSI bus (required for SCSI)
device          ch              # SCSI media changers
device          da              # Direct Access (disks)
device          sa              # Sequential Access (tape etc)
device          cd              # CD
device          pass            # Passthrough device (direct SCSI access)
device          ses             # SCSI Environmental Services (and SAF-TE)

# RAID controllers interfaced to the SCSI subsystem
device          ciss            # Compaq Smart RAID 5*

# RAID controllers
# device                ida             # Compaq Smart RAID

# atkbdc0 controls both the keyboard and the PS/2 mouse
device          atkbdc          # AT keyboard controller
device          atkbd           # AT keyboard
device          psm             # PS/2 mouse
device          kbdmux          # keyboard multiplexer
device          vga             # VGA video card driver
device          splash          # Splash screen and screen saver support

# syscons is the default console driver, resembling an SCO console
device          sc
device          agp             # support several AGP chipsets

# Power management support (see NOTES for more options)
#device         apm
# Add suspend/resume support for the i8254.
device          pmtimer

# Serial (COM) ports
device          sio             # 8250, 16[45]50 based serial ports

# Parallel port
device          ppc
device          ppbus           # Parallel port bus (required)

# PCI Ethernet NICs that use the common MII bus controller code.
# NOTE: Be sure to keep the 'device miibus' line in order to use these
NICs!
device          miibus          # MII bus support
device          bge             # Broadcom BCM570xx Gigabit Ethernet

# Pseudo devices.
device          loop            # Network loopback
device          random          # Entropy device
device          ether           # Ethernet support
device          sl              # Kernel SLIP
device          ppp             # Kernel PPP
device          tun             # Packet tunnel.
device          pty             # Pseudo-ttys (telnet etc)
device          md              # Memory "disks"
device          gif             # IPv6 and IPv4 tunneling
device          faith           # IPv6-to-IPv4 relaying (translation)

# The `bpf' device enables the Berkeley Packet Filter.
# Be aware of the administrative consequences of enabling this!
# Note that 'bpf' is required for DHCP.
device          bpf             # Berkeley packet filter

# USB support
device          usb             # USB Bus (required)

Brad
Brad Miele
VP Technology
IPNStock.com