ATA problems with 5.5-PRERELEASE

Alfred Perlstein alfred at freebsd.org
Thu Mar 9 16:54:41 UTC 2006

* S?ren Schmidt <sos at deepcore.dk> [060309 08:45] wrote:
> Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> >Hello, we recently began deploying 5.5-PRERELEASE dated
> >March 7th.
> >
> >Across all (7 so far) of our machines we're getting the following error:
> >
> >ad0: TIMEOUT - WRITE_DMA retrying (2 retries left) LBA=32176383
> >ad0: TIMEOUT - WRITE_DMA retrying (2 retries left) LBA=15514623
> >ad0: TIMEOUT - WRITE_DMA retrying (2 retries left) LBA=34480383
> >
> >Looks like we were getting corrupt data.
> >
> >Any hints?
>
> Not from this end, I havn't touched ATA in 5.x for well over a year.
>
> >Can this be looked into please?
>
> I wont be able to unless someone contracts me to do it, sorry but I have
> to prioritize my sparse spare time...

*sigh*

I'll keep it mind when deploying from now on.

I just think that maybe the 5.5 release notes might include
a blurb like:

"sorry we broke ata somewhere between 5.4 and 5.5, don't
upgrade if you're using IDE hardware."

Would that work?

--
- Alfred Perlstein
- CTO Okcupid.com / FreeBSD Hacker / All that jazz -