FreeBSD 6.1 installer doesn't recognize ICH5R RAID1

Darren David darrendavid at thebomb.com
Wed Jul 26 15:27:31 UTC 2006

hi all-

I had also posted this message to freebsd-questions, but thought this
might be a more appropriate list, so apologies if some of you are seeing
double.

I'm doing a clean install to 6.1, and i've decided to set up my system
drives as RAID 1 now that I see that 6.1 has support for the ICH5R raid
controller. My BIOS recognizes the SATA RAID 1 array correctly, but the
FreeBSD installer still sees 'ad4' and 'ad6' as two separate drives. The
installer has no problem with my 3ware 9500-based RAID5 array.

FWIW, ad4 and ad6 both have old installs of freebsd 5.4 on them,
including bootloaders, not sure if that's causing some of the confusion
here. should i format the RAID1 array first using the Intel utility? or
should i just look to gmirror?

thanks in advance,
darren david