Improving FreeBSD's hardware compatibility

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at optushome.com.au
Thu Jul 20 10:32:31 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-Jul-18 22:11:45 -0300, Charles A. Landemaine wrote:
>Aside from the fact that some vendors don't cooperate to release
>hardware specifications, is there something we could do to revert this
>situation?

I suspect the major problems are lack of interface documentation for
the various chips and non-compliance with standards on things like
ACPI.  I don't believe there's a general solution to the problem,
rather work-arounds need to be developed on a case-by-case basis.

> How could the community act to change things?

Getting action from vendors has been unsuccessful in the past - the
Free OS community (Linux + *BSD) is too small for vendors to be
concerned about.

I suspect the best solution is to publicise configurations that are
known to work and what problems exist with other configurations.

--
Peter Jeremy