Sun StorEdge availability

dima _pppp at mail.ru
Sun Jan 29 10:40:41 PST 2006

> I'm planning to purchase a Sun branded server to run a database application. The problem is external storage connectivity. Sun provides 2 options:
> - Fibre Channel (Dual Channel 4Gb FC PCI-E Host Adapter)
> - SCSI (Single Channel Ultra320 Differential SCSI PCI Host Adapter)
> FC is the preffered option for me. But as I've read in 6.0 hardware notes FreeBSD supports LSI Logic FC cards only. So, I have two questions:
> 1. Will I be able to use Sun's FC card on FreeBSD 6.0?
> 2. Sun's SCSI card if the answer to the first question is "No"?

Well, talking to myself.
Sun provides 2 options for FC HBAs.
The first one is some kind of Emulex; the Linux driver exists as opensource, but it seems that noone has bothered porting it to *BSD. So, this is not an option for me.
The second option is QLogic ISP2432. isp(4) states that chips up to 23xx are supported. So, does anyone know if 24xx chips are compatible enough (I hope yes, because a single driver supports all the previous QLogic chips 1xxx and 2xxx)? Have anyone successfully used an ISP2432 based HBA yet?