SATA problems under 6.2-PRERELEASE

Stephen J. Roznowski sjr at comcast.net
Thu Dec 14 06:32:27 PST 2006

I'm having problems with a new Maxtor drive (Maxtor 6V300F0 VA111630)
that I just purchased. The drive passes all of the low level tests
when I use the Maxtor PowerMax testing software.

When I put this drive under any heavy load, I get a
"kernel: adxx: detached" error, and then I can't reattach the drive
using atacontrol.

My motherboard has a "nVidia nForce3 Pro SATA150 controller", and when
I researched the problem, I've notice that people have firmware issues
with this combination.

So, I bought a "SiI 3512 SATA150 controller" to eliminate this issue,
but I'm still seeing the same error.

Does SATA just not yet work under FreeBSD?

Anything that I can do to try to focus on the real problem?

Thanks,
-SR
--
Stephen J. Roznowski    (sjr at comcast.net)