Quiet computer

Constantine A. Murenin mureninc at gmail.com
Sun Aug 20 14:49:44 UTC 2006

On 19/08/06, David King <dking at ketralnis.com> wrote:
> I am looking for a small computer that is silent or very quiet to sit
> in a home office.
>
> It will be functioning as a server, and will need space for two
> ethernets (although preferably two ethernets and one wireless card, I
> can rig up a cheap access point instead), and two hard drives
> (although one can be external firewire or USB if necessary). It
> doesn't need a graphics card, although it wouldn't hurt, and here's
> the hard part: I would like it to be at least dual-core.
>
> I see http://www.tranquilpc-shop.co.uk/, and they are pretty
> impressive, but most of the processors are VIA and don't go up to two
> cores (unless I missed something).
>
> It's replacing my very aged 350 mhz server, which I've had for so
> long because it's so quiet.
>
> So does anyone have a favourite vender of silent/very quiet PCs?

I think you might want to wait a month or two until Intel Core 2
"Conroe" and "Allendale" become more readily available. They're dual
core, available for Desktop, and they're likely to be the cheapest
(they already go for 193,00 USD in the US), quietest and most
performing CPUs that are available on the market today. They were
released just last month, 27th July 2006, but there is still some
commotion over the availability of the processors, and short selection
over motherboards...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core_2
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Core_2_microprocessors
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Search.jsp?Category=00&Key=intel+core+2+e6&SearchBy=PRC_CPRICE

Try asking your favourite vendor if they have forthcoming plans on
making some solutions based on Intel Core 2 "Allendale" or "Conroe".

Cheers,
Constantine.