what about highpoint 1640 SATA RAID controller ?

Toll, Eric etoll at vipstructures.com
Tue Nov 29 20:38:29 GMT 2005

> well, subj already says ;), however I'm planning to buy a
> good, supported and possibly not very expensive SATA RAID
PCI
> controller for my FreeBSD server (an IBM x206). I'll
install
> FreeBSD 6.0-R from scratch.

3Ware is my favorite, it has a true hardware based RAID.  I
thought hipoint, promise etc just leach off of the cpu to do
its job.   I paid just over $100.00 for a 2 port 64bit 3Ware
card.  Recommend the WD Raid edition drives.  Alt+2 to setup
the RAID array in the 3Ware bios page.  Group the drives..
Boot FreeBSD and it sees the card without having to do
anything.  Neeto GUI webserver to check array etc. It can
also email you if the array gets into trouble..