FreeBSD 6.0 and HighPoint RocketRAID 1520 (HPT372N)

WOPR, Julien Nury jnury at wopr.ch
Wed Nov 16 00:14:20 PST 2005

Julien Nury wrote:
>   I try to install FreeBSD 6.0 on a i386 with a Highpoint RocketRAID 1520
>(with HPT372N Chipset). I have 2 identical disks in RAID1. The system is
>correctly detected at boot :
>
>In the install process I can create ar0s1a, but when it starts to write on
>the disk (to create fs table) I get the following error sequence :

>ad6: FAILURE - WRITE_DMA status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR>
>error=5<ABORTED,ILLEGAL_LENGHT> LBA=63
>ar0: WARNING - mirror protection lost. RAID1 array in DEGRADED mode
>ad4: FAILURE - WRITE_DMA status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR>
>error=5<ABORTED,ILLEGAL_LENGHT> LBA=9
>ada4: write metadata failed
>ad4: FAILURE - WRITE_DMA status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR>
>error=5<ABORTED,ILLEGAL_LENGHT> LBA=63
>ar0: FAILURE - RAID1 array broken

I tried to install without RAID1 (only ad4 and ad6 appeared in the disk
list). I made my partitions on ad4 and when the install process tried to
write on the disk I got the same errors :

ad4: FAILURE - WRITE_DMA status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR>
error=5<ABORTED,ILLEGAL_LENGHT> LBA=xx

So, it seems like my problem come from ata and not from ataraid.

Regards

Julien Nury