Serious SATA problem

Heinz Suez malagana15 at yahoo.es
Mon Nov 7 13:18:52 PST 2005

Hi community,

I'm having a huge hardware issue. I have spent a lot
of money in new hardware and don't want to sell it
all. I own a DFI P2XBL/D motherboard with Intel 440BX
chipset and recently bought an Omega 102 SATA PCI
controller with SIL3112A chipset + 1 SATA2 HDD Western
Digital 120GB 8MB buffer (Model WD1200JS, the drive is
jumpered to work at 150 MB/sec). The motherboard meets
PCI 2.1 specifications and no aditional pci cards are
installed, only the sata controller and a GeForce2 MX
in the AGP slot. I have 256 MB of apacer registered
ecc ram. An LG cdrom and no other hdd is installed
rather than my new sata hdd.
I have installed FreeBSD 5.4 with no problems at all
but my problem is that i get the following error when
the system starts:

ad6: FAILURE - Read_DMA status=51 <ready,dsc,error>
error = 4 <aborted> LBA=152543 spec_getpages: (ad6s1a)
I/O read failure: (error=5) Bp 0xcbe8a2ec vp
0xc1c08068 size: 65536, resid: 65536, a_count: 65536,
valid: 0x0 nread: 0, reqpage: 7, pindex: 63, pcount:16
vm_fault: pager read error, pid 1(init).

This errors appears all the time without allowing me
to use the system. I have changed memory sticks but
didn't solved the problem at all. Looks like writing
to the disk works great but reading the disk is
causing problems.
I have to mention that when i installed the OS i
received the following warning:

WARNING: A geometry of 232581/16/63 for ad6 is
incorrect. Using a more likely geometry...and then the
disk geometry is set to 14593 cyls / 255 heads / 63
sectors. But the OS was happy with this setting at
installation.

I haven't been able to use my pc in 2 months and
really don't know what to do. Perhaphs there's an
option in the bios that should be enabled...who knows.

Please i need help.

Thanx in advance.

Heinz