KT133A quirks present in FreeBSD [5.3]?

Stefan Haglund stefan.haglund at crystalnorth.com
Sat Mar 26 20:45:30 PST 2005

Thanks for the reply.

>>I have a private FreeBSD 5.3 file- & webserver sporting an IWill
>>KK266-R (KT133A/686B) motherboard, running a Athlon XP 1600+
>>(1400MHz). The board has an onboard CMD649 IDE RAID controller, that I
>>use as an ordinary IDE controller. This controller handles all four disks
>>in the system, other than the boot disk. The NIC is an Intel PRO/100
>>(fxp).
>>I have a problem with files uploaded to the server is sometimes
>>getting corrupted. I've tried a lot of possible solutions (changing PCI
>>slots, BIOS settings, etc) to no avail. My question is - is there a quirk
>>fix in FreeBSD for the KT133A northbridge, as (AFAIK) there is in Linux?
>>

>I have this chipset on my Asus A7V-133 MB, and i have no problems. The
>server is actually a file server. I am willing to bet that you either have
>a bad cable, bad mb, or its the crappy CMD chipset.

I looked around some with pciconf, and it seems that the Linux KT133
quirk either is already in the FreeBSD code, or it's fixed in the BIOS,
because 4&5 was already 0x01 (4=>1 & 5=>0, or that is how I understood
the code anyway). :-(

I have tried other cables. AFAIK, the corruption occurs to any of the
disks, but I will try to determine that it really does (and I somehow
have mixed up the cables when changing them :-) ). But it did work
without problems with the Windows XP installation it ran before (we used
it for audio recording, no problems). Is the CMD 649 known to be buggy?

It doesn't seem to occur very often (or even at all) with pure single
uploads, but rather when there is concurrent traffic to/from it (I'm not
the only one having access to it).