Adaptec 29320 + HostRaid

Feargal Reilly feargal at helgrim.com
Mon Mar 21 08:01:59 PST 2005

Hi,
This is probably more for freebsd-docs, but I reckoned this should be the first port of call in case I'm wrong.

Last week I gave up on trying to get SATA hardware RAID running until it matures and decided to fall back to the old reliable, SCSI. Placing an order for a new server I checked that the SCSI RAID adapter, an Adaptec 29320 was on the supported hardware list. It was. I looked at the ahd(4). There were no bugs listed for the x3920 family. I ordered it.

I have now learned what everybody else appears to already know: yes, it does talk to the bus, it just doesn't talk to the raid array.

Hindsight shows me that had I also searched some mailing lists I could have found this out. Hindsight also tells me that there should also be a note on the hardware page and the manpage mentioning that the hostraid functionality is not supported.

Is there any reason not to do this?

Thanks,
-fr.

--