Unclean Reboot For No Apparent Reason

Vulpes Velox v.velox at vvelox.net
Sat Mar 12 07:34:44 PST 2005

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 17:29:17 +0000
Ben Haysom <ben.haysom at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> A while ago I asked about my 5.3 machine which has taken to
> rebooting itself during a full portupgrade.Doesn't shut down
> properly - just resets.
>
> I was advised to try a few things.
>
> I've done memtest86 from CD, let it do 5 passes and it found no
> problems. I unplugged both CDs and the Floppy, and tried it, but
> still did the same. cpuburn seems fine.
> doing mbmon whilst executing the portupgrade -a command shows the
> temperature get to around 42.5 before it resets, but it can vary.
>
> I'm stuck now... any ideas?
> Ben Haysom

Memory tests only proove that that the memory is good, not that the
hardware the ram is connected to is good. The same for cpuburn. The
best stress test is running a make buildword, a make install for
scilab, and a find /. If that does not do it, it is most likely a
intermitently flakey power supply.