Athlon64 Motherboards

dave h davehbsd at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 21 07:08:40 GMT 2005

Hi, I am shopping for a new motherboard for an
Athlon64 motherboard that will be used for a FreeBSD
system. However, I have concerns that some integrated
devices are not supported such as IDE,SATA,NIC.  From
exhausting research, I've came up very limited
information.  I cannot afford server class
motherboards so I would like a motherboard thats
within a $50-100 price range.  I have a few picked out
so far:

MSI K8T Neo-V
Abit KV8 Pro (motherboard features are an overkill)
ECS K8T800-A

All these boards listed are of K8T800 (some are K8T800
Pro) chipsets.  My question is, what issues will I
have with compatibility?  The MSI for example has an
onboard Realtek 8201 that doesn't seem to be supported
in FreeBSD (according to HARDWARE.TXT).  More
imporantly, will the ATA and SATA devices work on
these (or any boards you may suggest)?  All thats
really needed is the ATA/SATA and NIC to be
functional.

If you have any other suggestion for a Socket 754
board, please reply.  I do not need anything fancy,
just a simple FreeBSD system that will be serving
files and webpages.

Thanks for your time.