em0 issues with 4.10 + SMP

Ross Kramer rkramer at compete.com
Fri Jan 14 11:46:11 PST 2005

What if I downgrade to an earlier version of FreeBSD, like 4.9 or 4.7?
Would I still be running into the same problems?

More simply, what version of FreeBSD do you recommend? Is the latest 5.x
stuff stable enough for production environments?

On Fri, 2005-01-14 at 14:30 -0500, John Baldwin wrote:
> On Friday 14 January 2005 02:02 pm, Ross Kramer wrote:
> > On Fri, 2005-01-14 at 13:11 -0500, John Baldwin wrote:
> > > On Friday 14 January 2005 12:57 pm, Ross Kramer wrote:
> > > Try adding 'device uhci' and 'device usb' to your kernel so that the USB
> > > controller (which shares the same IRQ) will probe.  It may be that the
> > > USB controller is causing an interrupt storm of sorts, though on 4.x that
> > > usually results in a hard hang.
> >
> > I tried enabling that in the config, rebuilt the kernel, installed it,
> > and rebooted. em0 did the same thing again, but its ping times to the
> > local network were in the 8000ms range, when it wasn't returning "Host
> > down"... Any other suggestions?
>
> Hmm, not many for 4.x.  The interrupt code in 4 and 5 is quite different now.

# Ross Kramer              #
# Systems Administrator    #
# Compete, Inc.            #
# rkramer at compete.com      #