ASUS P5GD2: onboard SATA RAID support

Paul A. Hoadley paulh at logicsquad.net
Tue Feb 8 17:13:20 PST 2005

Hi Samuel,

On Tue, Feb 08, 2005 at 03:21:49PM -0800, Samuel Clements wrote:

> I just completed an install on a machine with similar limitations. I did
> it like this:
>
> Configured disks to SATA RAID mode (in the BIOS) with no RAID configured
> (left the disks JBOD)
> Installed FreeBSD 5.3 from CD/FTP to drive ad4
> cvsupped to stable
> applied patches
> compiled kernel
> rebooted to make sure my kernel worked
> changed ad4 to ar0 in fstab
> rebooted and went into the RAID BIOS
> Created ARRAY_1 (mirror) and when it asked me how I wanted to create it,
> I chose "BUILD" instead of "QUICK" or "INIT" and chose drive #1 as the
> source
> This copied drive ad4 (with the good kernel that supports the ar0) to
> drive ad6
> rebooted and it came up and "just worked"

Thanks for this.

> The dmesg I just posted from the SE7210TP was achieved this way. I
> don't know if this way is sanctioned or approved (or even a good
> idea) but it seemed to work. The RAID BIOS is the Adaptec one, so
> yours may or may not include the "BUILD" option.

The Silicon Image 3114 controller does have a build option, but,
somewhat bizarrely, the Intel ICH6 controller doesn't---how does one
rebuild a degraded array using this controller?  I might try the above
on the 3114.  (At the moment, it seems to be happily working with ar0
set up by atacontrol with the ICH6 controller.)

I am still interested in opinions on the merits of the BIOS-based
setups with these (presumably cheap) onboard controllers versus
setting up ar0 with atacontrol.  Is there a performance/robustness
difference?  (Maybe I should start a new thread on this.)

--
Paul.

w  http://logicsquad.net/
h  http://paul.hoadley.name/