ASUS P5GD2: onboard SATA RAID support

Paul A. Hoadley paulh at logicsquad.net
Mon Feb 7 20:19:09 PST 2005

Hi Joe,

On Mon, Feb 07, 2005 at 12:12:36PM -0800, Joe Rhett wrote:

> The 3114 works fine as a normal IDE controller.  But unless you have
> the very latest SATA code (not yet in -stable) it can't read the
> BIOS-made arrays.  Delete them, and recreate them using atacontrol
> instead and you'll find it works fine.

The only disks in the system are two identical SATA drives which I
want to make into a RAID1 array.  How can I bootstrap into this setup
using the atacontrol approach?  I've installed onto ad4, but just
doing 'atacontrol create RAID1 ad4 ad6' isn't going to replicate this
disk over to ad6 and make the resulting array bootable, is it?  Do I
need a temporary third disk to boot from, set up the array and then
install onto that?

I don't mind waiting a while until this code:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2005-February/046006.html

makes it into STABLE.  But even then, to proceed without a temporary
boot disk would require installing from something like a STABLE
snapshot ISO, wouldn't it?  (Does anyone still make those?)

--
Paul.

w  http://logicsquad.net/
h  http://paul.hoadley.name/