Dual Layer DVD Writing

Olivier Gautherot olivier at gautherot.net
Fri Feb 4 04:50:16 PST 2005

Hi Laurence!

>> If the file you are writing is larger than (700MB?) it won't write on
>> anything. If you're trying to write one big 7 gig file, it won't work.
>>  If you have 7 gigs worth of files smaller than 700 meg each, then it
>> should work just fine.
>>
> Well that's not correct as I've already written 3.9G files. It just
> balks at a 4.9G file, even though I have dual-layer media in a
> dual-layer capable drive.

Between 3.9G and 4.9G, there is a 4G boundary which may interfere
if your file system supports only 32 bits. I've had similar issues
with a FAT32 and an ext2fs partitions and huge backups - that's why
I fly only with UFS partitions under FBSD 5.3 and wiped out Linux
from the disk.

Note that video DVDs are organized with several video files (often
not exceeding 1G).

My cent worth...
  Olivier